Tuesday, July 30, 2013

The Universal Language of ... Beads

Art is not a treasure in the past or an importation from another land, but part of the present life of all living and creating peoples.

 

Last Saturday, I had a very fun experience of which my husband encouraged me to share with you.  I work at my part-time job on Thursdays and Saturdays at Julie's Xpressions in Hastings, Nebraska.  I list my occupation there as "part of Julie's Bead Posse"!  As we are preparing to move to a new building two doors down from our current location, I was working the shop on my own Saturday.  Julie has a crew of friends and contractors working on the new building to finish prep work so we can get started on moving all of those BEADS, yarn, and fabric.  Yikes, it gives me a backache just to contemplate it!  Anyway, as I was working to organize and pack some things in the shop, I had some customers come in.  The two gals and guy were very intense on browsing, and I approached to give my "schpeal" on how to write down the loose bead, give them a basket, etc.  Turned out that they were from Puerto Rico!  Consequently, the one younger gal (I think she was the daughter of the other gal) was interpreting for the other gal.  Strangely, we could not speak the same language, BUT we could speak bead!  She had very lovely earrings and a fabulous bracelet that were made with Super Duo beads and as soon as I said, "this is where we have Rizo and Super Duo beads", she completely understood what I was telling her!!  I pointed out the seed beads by size, and let her go about her bead shopping.  A bit later I checked on her, and just had to get a better look at the bracelet she had made.  It had a bezeled Swarovski rivoli which sat on the top of her wrist as part of a toggle clasp and the Super Duo bead were made into the bracelet which had double loops to connect to the double bars on the rivoli piece!  Very clever and lovely!  She communicated that she and her friends had taken a class at one of the several bead stores where she lives.  Then, while we were "cackling (as Chris would say)" about our bead love, she starts rummaging in her purse for another piece that she had made!  Too funny, because I as many beaders I am sure do, have beads rolling around in my purse at almost any given moment!  The bracelet she extracted was gorgeous, and then she pulled out a tiny delicate flower petal made with size 15s, Delicas, and Swarovski crystals.  So lovely!  We then started discussing our love for all things bling, Swarovski crystals, and cabochons! Before departing, we swapped names so we can connect on Facebook and Pinterest! Amazing the words that can be universal...in the language of BEADS!

No comments:

Popular Posts